Letter to the Editor

SA vice president reaffirms plan to work with DPS to let student voices be heard

Recently, many students have noticed an apparent increase in the level of crime on campus. Two events outside Acropolis Pizza and the Carrier Dome in particular have had students on alert.

Both the Department of Public Safety and the Syracuse Police Department have made it clear that there has been no change in the crime rate around campus, and I take them at their word.

However, more needs to be done for students to feel safe, and questions remain unanswered. I have had far too many worried students come speak to me about their safety concerns in the past week. That’s why, as vice president of the Student Association, I have requested to meet with DPS over the next week to discuss what can be done.

In those meetings, I plan to follow up on two points that I’ve heard from students across the campus.

First, we need more crime data reported to students. Students have a right to know about crime taking place not just on campus or one block away, but in the entire university area.

Second, we need to increase the speed with which crime is reported to the student body. Understanding that we must avoid panic, we also need to disseminate information to students quickly enough for them to make informed decisions about where they can be safe. I know it can be frightening to receive these emails; however, we can’t leave students in the dark.

Knowledge is power, and in this case it can also make a safer community.

It is my goal that we as a campus can work together to promote the safety of one another. While there is no need to live in fear here at Syracuse, we must remember to act smart and keep safety tips as simple as walking with friends, or avoiding crime-heavy areas, in mind at all times.

This isn’t about pointing the finger of blame, and I think all students will join me in commending the great work that our Department of Public Safety does. Instead, it is about ensuring that our voices are heard.

I encourage any students who are interested in, or concerned about, this issue to contact me at [email protected] and to make their voice heard in other ways.

With Orange Pride,

Allie Curtis

Student Association Vice President