Student Association

PJ Alampi announces candidacy for SA president

Through a flash mob by First Year Players students at the Schine Atrium, PJ Alampi announced his plan to run for Student Association president on Tuesday afternoon, making him the first candidate to formally enter the race.

The announcement happened at about 12:25 p.m., which he chose because it is a time when students are transitioning between classes. The flash mob was to the music of Outasight’s “Now or Never” and drew a crowd of about 75 students. Alampi gave a speech at a podium following the performance.

“What defines my experience so far at Syracuse University is community and growth,” he told the audience.

Alampi, current chair of the Student Life Committee and a junior film major, said he is running on the tentative platform of “Connecting Cuse,” a plan that involves working closer with student organizations, enhancing study spaces on campus and improving SU’s wireless printing system.

More specific details on his platform will be released throughout the next month, he said.

Though the decision to run for the presidency was something that began to solidify during his time as the chair of the Board of Elections and Membership Committee, Alampi said he envisioned pursuing the presidency ever since he first came to SU.

“When I first came to campus, I was definitely that freshman that was like, ‘I really want to be president; I really want to be active on campus,’” Alampi said.

If elected, Alampi said he would look to substantially change SA’s image, mostly through talking directly to students.

Instead of having a small amount of time where non-SA members can speak during the organization’s Monday meeting, Alampi said he wants to increase engagement with the student body.

He said he would allot time before the meetings start when students could discuss specific concerns they have. The entire general assembly would also make a trip down to E.S. Bird Library to talk to students there at least every other month, he said.

“We need to change from just being known as the organization that has $2 million to give to every other organization on campus, to be really known as an organization that advocates for students, that represents the student body,” he said.

Besides his involvement with SA, Alampi emphasized his experience as a residence adviser, and being in two separate home colleges. The fact that he is in the College of Visual and Performing Arts studying film — a program he said many students aren’t aware of at SU — also makes his perspective unique.

Not only does Alampi think artistically, he’s a disability student as well.

“It takes me a little bit longer to kind of develop my ideas, but in the end I think that at the end of the day, everything that I’ve developed is entirely thought out,” he said.

Not only will Alampi’s campaign use postcards and T-shirts to promote his platform, he said there’s an interesting trademark in the works: bowties. He said this was something he developed during his summer internship.

“I think it really defines me as a character and as an individual,” Alampi said.

The SA elections are expected to run from Nov. 12 to 15.

–News Editor Marwa Eltagouri contributed reporting to this article.