Editorial

Next chancellor should bring own vision, but respect initiatives already in place

Hiring a new chancellor often means bringing in a new vision. A new chancellor can revamp a university and set a new course for years to come. This will likely be the case at Syracuse University.

Nancy Cantor’s tenure has focused on bridging the gap between SU and the city. Though this is an important cause, it should not be the next chancellor’s sole focus. The new chancellor must focus on improvement within the university.

SU has faced a housing crunch in recent years, but no permanent solution is in place. Though the Campaign for Syracuse University reached the $1-billion goal, it is still behind in fundraising for faculty support. And older campus buildings and infrastructure could be updated. By directing attention to issues such as student life, and faculty support and research, SU can rise on a national and international stage.

These issues and more should be the forefront of the new chancellor’s vision. But he or she also cannot completely forget the work of the previous chancellor. Former Chancellor Kenneth “Buzz” Shaw told The Daily Orange that chancellors’ initiatives, even the good ones, can die down in transition.

A new chancellor may not agree with all of Cantor’s initiatives and her focus on the Syracuse city. But certain initiatives, including the Connective Corridor, cannot be abandoned. It would be a waste of time and money if that happens, and it would be a disservice to the city of Syracuse and its residents. It would also hurt the school to leave such large initiatives undone.

The next chancellor does not have to be similar to Cantor. But he or she must respect the initiatives at SU now and make sure the effort, time and money directed toward the initiatives do not fall to the wayside.