Editorial

Cantor can still move university forward during limited time left

Much needs to be done between now and June 2014 to ensure Chancellor Nancy Cantor’s departure from Syracuse University occurs with a smooth transition.

On Friday, Cantor announced that she will not seek to renew her contract when it ends in 2014. The announcement comes 20 months before Cantor steps down and a new chancellor steps in.

In her email announcement to the SU community, Cantor said, “I am intent on sprinting to the finish line.” The Syracuse University community must hold Cantor to this promise and ensure that after her sprint, she passes the baton smoothly to her successor.

Cantor must work to make as much progress as possible on initiatives and projects before leaving, including the Connective Corridor, the move to the Atlantic Coast Conference and the university’s expansion into New York City. The nearly two-year span also gives Cantor the time to continue moving the university forward by introducing new initiatives and programs.

During her tenure at SU, Cantor has focused on trying to bridge the gap between SU and the city. Initiatives like Say Yes to Education Syracuse, the Near Westside Initiative and the Connective Corridor received great support from Cantor.

The Connective Corridor is one initiative that will not likely be completed in the next 20 months. A comprehensive plan and goals must be laid out for a future chancellor to avoid a huge waste of time and effort.

Syracuse will move to the ACC beginning next fall. Cantor will be the head of the university for Syracuse’s inaugural year in the conference. Then, a new chancellor will take over. Cantor must be sure to try to smooth out any bumps or problems during this time period to avoid repeating mistakes in the school’s second year in the ACC.

Twenty months may seem like a long time, but as Cantor said in her own email, “We really can’t afford to take our minds off our responsibilities in the near term.”