On the Hill

Tickets for Dalai Lama talk, One World Concert to go on sale Friday for SU, SUNY-ESF students, Monday for general public

Tickets for the Oct. 9 One World Concert — a public talk by the Dalai Lama and a festival-style concert in the Carrier Dome featuring more than 20 musical artists — will be available for students to purchase online on Friday at 2 p.m.

Tickets will be $25 for all Syracuse University and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students. Students will be able to purchase one ticket at the discounted price, said Chuck Merrihew, vice president of administration and engagement of advancement and external affairs at SU.

There will be 5,000 discounted tickets available. The concert itself will hold about 30,000 attendees, Merrihew said. Students will be seated sequentially in the general admission student area of the Dome (sections 118 – 128).

Student ticket sales will end Sunday, Sept. 9 at midnight.

The general public will be able to purchase tickets on Monday, Sept. 10 at 10 a.m., with prices ranging from $35 to $55, Merrihew said. Gold circle tickets for the first few rows will be $200. Those tickets will be available at ticketmaster.com, Ticketmaster outlets, the Carrier Dome Box Office and by phone at 888-DOMETIX.

Ticket proceeds from the benefit concert will help fund a new scholarship named for Bassel Al Shahade, an SU graduate student killed in Syria in May while making a documentary film on the country’s violence.

The event, titled “Resolving Conflict in One World through Global Consciousness,” will begin at 7 p.m. on Oct. 9. The Dalai Lama will speak about resolving conflict through global consciousness, and more than 20 artists will then take the stage to perform an original song. Comedian Whoopi Goldberg will emcee the event. Artists include Dave Matthews, Counting Crows, Nas and Nelly Furtado.

An email will be sent to all SU and SUNY-ESF students either Thursday or Friday with specific instructions on how to purchase tickets, Merrihew said. Students will be directed to an online link, where they can log in with their SUID number and create a password. Students must be enrolled full-time.

Seating will be available at a first-come, first-serve basis the night of the concert, as students will be admitted upon presenting their college IDs.

“It’s like any other large concert or a basketball game,” Merrihew said.

The concert is part of a “landmark” two-day forum, “Common Ground for Peace,” at SU on Oct. 8-9. The event is produced and sponsored by the One World Community Foundation, an organization established by SU trustee Samuel Nappi.

On Oct. 8, NBC News national and international correspondent Ann Curry will moderate two panels: one on the Arab Spring and one on shifting global consciousness toward peace. Panelists include the Dalai Lama, human rights advocate Martin Luther King III, founder and chairman of the Global Partnerships Forum Amir Dossal and foreign policy specialist and former head of the CIA R. James Woolsey Jr.

Information regarding tickets to the Oct. 8 panels, which will take place in Goldstein Auditorium, has yet to be released.