Election 2012

Student attends DNC in North Carolina, stresses student voting

Last Monday, Taylor Bold boarded a plane from Syracuse and headed to Charlotte, N.C. But he wasn’t on vacation. He was attending the Democratic National Convention with the New York State Delegation.

Joyce Melfi, chair of the Democratic Party in Cattaraugus County, nominated Bold to attend the convention after he spent time working in politics in his hometown of Olean, N.Y. Bold then had to acquire 200 signatures to punch his ticket to Charlotte.

“It was kind of hard because of where I live,” Bold said. “It’s so rural, so it was a lot of driving out to houses.”

During his time in Charlotte, Bold, a sophomore public policy major, met many accomplished politicians from New York state and across the country. He said he also had the opportunity to hear a lot of great speeches.

While all students may not have the opportunity to go to a major political event such as the Democratic National Convention, professors and other students agree that getting involved at a young age is critical for the country’s politics.

“The National Democratic Party and the New York state Democratic Party have been pushing youth involvement in everything, but especially in the convention this year,” said Colin Crowley, president of College Democrats and a senior political science and philosophy major, who is also a columnist for The Daily Orange.

Thirty percent of the delegates being sent to Charlotte are under 30 years old, he said.

Robert McClure, a professor of political science and public affairs at the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs, said he thinks there is a notion that young people, whether they are students or not, are less likely to be involved in politics.

“The contact they have with government and society is limited,” McClure said. “It’s not as strong; they aren’t as engaged. The ties young people have to the ongoing society are just beginning to be forged, so you feel less drawn in to the political arena.”

The American political system is so porous that it’s no mystery how exactly to get involved. Students can volunteer, help with campaigns or just register to vote, McClure said.

“It’s not a question of how,” he said. “It’s a question of motivation.”

With the convention wrapping up Thursday, one of the biggest issues students are paying attention to is student loans.

“Student loans are something that is really concrete that students can actually focus on,” Crowley said. “Personally, I don’t know any student that doesn’t have student loans.”

Kristi Andersen, a political science professor, said health care reform is another issue students must face, as young people make up one of the most commonly uninsured groups.

Getting involved and engaged is important, Bold said, especially as a young college student. He said students should volunteer their time at the local, state or national level.

“It’s integral because it’s your voice and it’s your vote about how you want the country to go for the next for years,” he said. “If you don’t vote or if (you) aren’t even registered in the first place, then you’re just saying you don’t care about … a variety of issues.”