NCAA denies transfer waiver request for defensive tackle Raymon

John Raymon will have to wait to see the field for another year.

The Syracuse defensive tackle had his application for a waiver request denied, head coach Doug Marrone said Thursday. The waiver would have allowed him to play this season, without having to sit out a year per NCAA transfer rules.

Marrone didn’t mince his words when discussing his disappointment regarding the NCAA’s decision. He said the NCAA has granted the waiver to players in the past, so he said he couldn’t understand why the NCAA denied Raymon’s request.

“I don’t agree with the NCAA’s decision, nor do I understand it,” Marrone said. “We believe that the NCAA should’ve granted that waiver, but that’s in the past now. I’ve advised John not to discuss it. This is the last that I will discuss it.”

The 6-foot-5, 316 lb. Raymon transferred to Syracuse from Iowa during the summer, but didn’t play in any games while with the Hawkeyes.

With the denial of the waiver, he won’t play again until at least 2013.

Throughout training camp, head coach Doug Marrone said the team was working with the NCAA to get all the necessary paperwork filed and processed, but repeatedly said he hadn’t heard any further updates regarding the NCAA’s decision.

If Raymon had been able to play in 2012, he likely would’ve held a reserve role on Syracuse’s defensive line. During the preseason, the coaches prepared Raymon as if he was going to play, not sit out a year.

During most practices, he spent some time off to the side working with Will Hicks, Syracuse’s assistant athletics director for athletic performance, doing strength and conditioning drills to help him get in better shape.

The coaches spoke highly of Raymon’s ability and potential during the preseason.

On Thursday, Marrone made it clear that the NCAA’s decision to deny the waiver had nothing to do with anything Raymond did.

“I will tell you this, though, that John Raymon absolutely has done nothing wrong,” Marrone said. “The fact that he’s attending college, and has survived incredibly difficult challenges in his life, is really a testament to his character and his courage.”