Minnesota leads Syracuse 7-3 at halftime in low-scoring affair filled with penalties

MINNEAPOLIS — Penalties and miscues on both sides made for a low-scoring first half at TCF Bank Stadium on Saturday night.

Syracuse committed six penalties, many coming on the offensive line and the secondary, to keep Minnesota drives alive. The Gophers pushed two field goals wide right and had a touchdown called back for a penalty, squandering three golden opportunities to separate themselves from the Orange.

The end result was a 7-3 first-half lead for Minnesota over Syracuse. The teams committed a combined 11 penalties and struggled to finish off drives due to the mental mistakes. The Syracuse offense couldn’t get going as quarterback Ryan Nassib struggled to find a comfort zone in a constantly collapsing pocket.

The miscues started on the Orange’s first play from scrimmage when Nassib’s pass to Jarrod West deflected in the air and landed in the arms of Minnesota’s Cedric Thompson. SU got away with the early mistake, tough, after Gophers kicker Jordan Wettstein pushed a 44-yard attempt wide right.

Still, the offensive trouble continued for SU. Nassib was forced to scramble around early to avoid pressure and a sack by Minnesota’s D.L. Wilhite on third-and-20 following a penalty served as a catalyst for the Gophers’ first score.

The scoring drive was aided by a pass interference call on Shamarko Thomas, giving Minnesota first-and-goal on the 2-yard line. Running Back Donnell Kirkwood easily walked into the end zone and Minnesota had the early lead.

Syracuse put together a drive and marched into the red zone late in the first quarter. But a false start penalty on Alec Lemon turned a third-and-1 into third-and-6 and Jerome Smith couldn’t get the edge to convert the first down.

Ross Krautman came on for a 33-yard field goal and the lead was cut to four.

The sloppy play continued in the second quarter and neither team was able to put together a scoring drive, with Minnesota’s final drive of the half ending fruitless after an apparent touchdown strike by Max Shortell to Devin Crawford-Tufts was called back due to a penalty.