Basketball

Former SU guard Jardine to host Orange Madness on Oct. 12

Andrew Renneisen | Photo Editor

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, AmeriCU Credit Union Orange Madness was misspelled. The Daily Orange regrets this error.

The 2012 AmeriCU Credit Union Orange Madness presented will take place Oct. 12, the Syracuse athletics department announced Wednesday.

Former Orange point guard Scoop Jardine will co-host the event with Jasmine Jordan, an SU student and daughter of former NBA star Michael Jordan. Rapper Wale will be the event’s featured entertainment. Orange Madness begins in the Carrier Dome at 8 p.m., and tickets are free to the public.

The event, which kicks off the 2012-13 men’s and women’s basketball seasons, will be televised on ESPNU and ESPN3. SU will be one of seven men’s basketball programs to have its Midnight Madness featured on the network.

Coming off a 34-3 season and a an Elite Eight loss, Syracuse will be without Jardine, as well as small forward Kris Joseph, center Fab Melo and guard Dion Waiters. Joseph and Melo were both selected by the Boston Celtics in the NBA Draft. Waiters was drafted by the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The men’s team will play a scrimmage and participate in a dunk contest, while the women’s team will run through drills among other activities.

Back of the pack

None of the Orange's running backs have crossed the goal line since the season opener. They hope to change that against N.C. State on Saturday. Read more »

The Quiet Corner

Brandon Reddish doesn't say much. He doesn't like to and he doesn't need to. The Syracuse cornerback leads an Orange secondary that's held opponents to 197.6 passing yards per game. Read more »