Field Hockey

Dickey provides team with young defender to bolster future

The enormity of the game didn’t hit Erin Dickey until after it was over.

Once Syracuse finished off Monmouth 8-1 for its season-opening win, Dickey finally felt like a college field hockey player.

“Afterward, I was like ‘I really am playing as a D-I athlete,’” the freshman back said. “That’s what I always wanted to do.”

After putting together an impressive high school career, Dickey joined Ange Bradley’s title-contending program, now 7-0 and No. 2 in the nation. Dickey’s only played in three games and is still learning how to be a college field hockey player, but Syracuse will count on her in coming years to help lead a defense that’s currently among the country’s best.

After playing briefly in SU’s first game against Monmouth, Dickey was on the field for nine minutes in Syracuse’s next game against Ohio.

To Dickey, though, it felt much shorter. She said the thrill of playing the fast-paced style of Division-I field hockey threw off her perception of time.

“I really enjoyed myself because they say when you really enjoy yourself, time just moves faster,” Dickey said. “And it actually did.”

Throughout her development as a field hockey player, Dickey had a unique edge over the competition. Her mother, Ange, played a year collegiately and Dickey’s aunt, Anne Bawler, played for Villanova.

Dickey said her family’s success and experience in the sport helped motivate her to thrive, as well.

“I knew what I could also accomplish,” Dickey said. “I could also follow in their footsteps and maybe possibly go further.”

Dickey said her cousins have also competed in the sport, so family reunions often consisted of games of field hockey.

“I was kind of brought up in a field hockey-oriented household,” Dickey said.

As a senior in high school, Dickey led Central Dauphin High School in Harrisburg, Pa., to the Commonwealth Division and Mid-Penn Championships. The same year, she earned Pennsylvania All-State and District 3 Athlete of the Year honors. Dickey scored nine goals as a defender and received her team’s Defensive MVP Award, as well as a handful of other regional recognitions.

Amid her successful high school career, Dickey realized that her love for the game opened up Division-I possibilities.

“I was passionate about it,” Dickey said. “I enjoy being on the pitch every day. The love of the sport made me want to go further.”

The back said choosing Syracuse over other suitors was an easy decision. She said she made up her mind as soon as she stepped on campus. Dickey said she was especially attracted to the team’s drive to push itself further each year.

“She fell in love with Syracuse,” Bradley said. “You can’t ask for more than that. She has the skills to play here and we want her.”

Seven games into her first season, Dickey is still adjusting to the college style of play, which she said is much faster than high school. She’s still learning the proper touch she needs to apply on the ball when passing to teammates, especially on J.S. Coyne Stadium’s artificial turf.

Senior Iona Holloway, the backbone of the Orange’s defense, praised Dickey’s fitness and work ethic.

“She’s a very athletic girl and she’s got a lot of power,” Holloway said. “I maybe sometimes scream at her a bit, but she doesn’t take it personally because she knows that I’m just trying to help her out. She’s going to grow into a really strong defender.”

Holloway said the Orange’s relatively small roster allows plenty of practice time for the younger players, such as Dickey, to gain valuable experience.

For now, the freshman has the privilege to watch and learn from one of the nation’s strongest and most experienced backfields.

“It’s great,” Bradley said. “Because she needs to be ready to step up and get in there next year, for the (Atlantic Coast Conference).”

Dickey said she is looking forward to seeing how much she’s improved at the end of the season. She said she has already seen changes in her game, but is confident that she will continue to improve for the better.

Like everything else in her freshman season, Dickey’s progression is moving quickly.

“Within the past four weeks, my style of play has grown probably faster and more rapidly than it has in high school,” Dickey said. “I need to take everything that I’ve learned over the years that I played field hockey and just speed it up, go faster and faster.”