Carrier Dome

Wireless network, credit card system among improvements at Carrier Dome

Chase Gaewski | Asst. Photo Editor

Carrier Dome managing director Pete Sala led the renovations to the stadium over the summer. The Dome has new video boards, a wireless network and credit card system.

The Carrier Dome improvements wrapped up last Friday when Syracuse tested the new wireless network and credit card system installed in the arena. The additions were part of a summer-long project highlighted by new video boards and a 360-degree ribbon board.

The video boards were completed nearly three weeks ago, in time for the Home to the Dome event during freshman orientation.

Carrier Dome managing director Pete Sala said the renovations were focused on enhancing the fan experience with state-of-the-art technology.

“To me, being here as long as I have and seeing all these upgrades and improvements, it just makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up and it’s so exciting,” Sala said. “All the improvements that we did over the summer were to enhance the game-day experience for the fans.”

The renovations, which started in May, include video boards in both end zones that are 21 feet high and 40 feet wide. Two smaller — 12 feet high and 10 feet wide — displays are on either side of the larger boards. The boards were finished Aug. 9, and allow the staff to change the advertisements easily, play videos and provide statistics throughout games.

With the wireless network, credit card system and video boards all in place, the stadium is set to host its season opener against Northwestern at noon Saturday. The Dome will host three high school games Friday, serving as a chance to test each element.

Sala said he worked with the Syracuse University IT staff to create 150 new access points in the arena for fans to get the Internet on their smartphones. Fans will also be able to send messages through Facebook and Twitter to be displayed on the new video boards.

“It needed to be easy for the fan to get on the Internet. That was our first goal,” Sala said. “And then it needed to be dependable and something that was easy to get through to get on. That was our biggest goal.”

Fans will also be able to use credit cards at all permanent points of sale, which they couldn’t do before. Athletic director Daryl Gross was adamant about the addition of the new system, Sala said.

“Again, it’s a fan experience thing,” Sala said. “And you couldn’t, at the time, use credit cards anywhere but the ticket office.

“Now, anywhere there’s a permanent concessions location in the Dome, you’ll be able to use a credit card to make the purchase.”

For Sala, the additions will make for a better fan experience starting Saturday as the Dome is now a state-of-the-art facility in each aspect.

“It’s a huge improvement for us,” Sala said. “This is going to create such a better atmosphere.”