Orientation Guide 2012

Weekends offer variety of options for university students

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, the date of the Zac Brown Band was misstated. The concert will be held Nov. 16 in the Carrier Dome. The Daily Orange regrets this error. 

Though Syracuse is notorious for its winters, some of the city and school’s best activities fall a few months earlier. Check out some enticing possibilities during your first few months as an Orange.

1. White Water Rafting

Syracuse may be a city, but just outside its borders are many outdoor activities for students to partake in. One of the most common for students to experience in the fall is white water rafting, sponsored by Syracuse University’s Department of Recreation Services. Grab your new floor-mates and sign up on the SU Recreation Services website. The trip is $35 per person.

2. Armory Square Restaurants

We all love Marshall Street — Chipotle, Varsity Pizza, the Bleu Monkey Café. It has all the staples. But venture off campus, and you’ll find even more culinary spots for your choosing. Be sure to hit up the classics, such asPastabilities and Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, but avoid the long lines during move-in and parents weekends at all costs.

3. Zac Brown Band

SU students are lucky enough to have live music, not only at nearby venues such as the Westcott Theater, but also on the campus itself. University Union will bring DJ Calvin Harris and rapper Childish Gambino for Juice Jam on Sept. 9. But if you’re feeling a little more country, be sure to get tickets for the Zac Brown Band concert at the Carrier Dome on Nov. 16. Though the tickets, starting at $29.50, are a bit pricier than a typical UU concert, the concert will surely not disappoint if you’re a fan.

4. Theater at the Oncenter

If you’re coming to Syracuse from a big city, then you’re used to lots of opportunities for live theater. Though Syracuse doesn’t have Broadway, the city’s Oncenter and Syracuse Stage offer plenty of shows starring both students and professionals to feed your theatrical appetites. Look out for “Moby Dick,” “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” and more at the Stage, and keep your eyes peeled for new shows coming to the Oncenter.

5. Lunch in The Warehouse Cafe

Freshmen will quickly realize that using all of their meal swipes per week is basically an unobtainable goal. Take the Connective Corridor to The Warehouse Cafe in the downtown building’s basement to stock up on chips, cereal and bottled water, as well as grab a burger, wrap and fries from the cafe’s grill. It exchanges your meal swipes to their equivalent monetary amount to rid you of your excess swipes.

6. Syracuse Chiefs baseball game

Just because you’re done cheering on your favorite hometown team in person once you arrive at Syracuse doesn’t mean your time in the stands is done. Catch the tail end of the season of the Central New York minor league team, the Syracuse Chiefs. What makes Chiefs games better than the major leagues? Cheaper tickets.

7. The Great New York State Fair

Take advantage fast. The Great New York State Fair, packed with rides, food, concerts and more, only comes around once a year. Take a free university-provided bus down to the fairgrounds and check out the attractions and grab some grub. If you’re an animal person, be sure to check out the livestock.