Letter to the Editor

Todd Akin’s comment about legitimate rape should motivate young voters

I usually avoid discussing politics beyond my friends and family, but when Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) declared there was a difference between rape and legitimate rape, I quickly signed a petition to have him resign and shared it on Facebook.

But I realized I couldn’t stop there.

When a member of Congress can, with a straight face, say the female body has mystical powers to prevent pregnancy in cases of “legitimate rape,” I feel it’s time to take a more active stand.
With the rise of conservative opinions about slashing funding for Planned Parenthood, limiting access to birth control and revoking Roe vs. Wade, we are poised for women’s rights to go backward.

Regardless of your politics, it’s obvious to see the Republican Party is the driving force behind policies meant to limit a woman’s right to make decisions about her body.

That’s why it’s so important for us women to turn out for the fall election. Consider the implications if we don’t.

As a college-aged woman, imagine not having birth control because you can’t afford it, or not having the right to get a safe abortion or access to emergency contraception.

There’s a proverbial phrase that college is a time to make mistakes. I know women here who have had pregnancy scares and needed to use the morning-after pill. According to some Republicans, women should have to live with the results of these mistakes.

While we may never be affected by these horrific policies during our time in college, I want to make sure that my future daughter can go to college knowing she is in charge of her own destiny and body.

I grew up being able to play sports and now have the opportunity to enter the workforce and make a fair and equal wage. I inherited these rights because women before me took a stand.
When I vote for President Barack Obama this fall, I’m voting for me — for my body, my rights and those of all the women who come after me so they may be free to make their own decisions as I have.

I implore you to think about this when you take to the ballot box or fill out your absentee ballot.
Voting shouldn’t be about which team you usually root for, but about the issues that are important to you. If women’s health is one of them, then join me in re-electing Obama and congressional candidates who support women’s rights.

There will be serious consequences if we don’t.

Laura Foti
Class of 2013
Public relations major