Men's soccer

Syracuse expects challenge against physical Binghamton team

Coming off a season-opening win over Albany, Syracuse is getting ready to face Binghamton – another young team that was picked near the bottom of the America East conference.

Despite the similarities between the Great Danes and Bearcats, though, SU head coach Ian McIntyre is not taking this game lightly.

“It’s a tough place to go and play,” McIntyre said. “We’re going to have our hands full. They’ve got some good players.”

Syracuse already saw the best of some of those players in last season’s 2-1 loss to Binghamton. The Orange (1-0) controlled the tempo against Albany and the team will look to execute again when it takes on Binghamton (0-1) Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Vestal, N.Y.

The Orange is looking to start off the season 2-0 for the first time since 2006, which is also the last time SU beat Binghamton. Syracuse is 2-5 all-time against the Bearcats, including the loss in 2011 and one in 2009.

Bearcats forward Jake Keegan will challenge the Orange in its bid to open the season on a winning streak.

The senior led the team with seven goals and five assists last season. He tallied one assist against Syracuse a season ago when he crossed the ball into the box to Jerome Robinson, who headed it past Orange goalie Phil Boerger. The Stormville, N.Y. native finished second in the America East with 19 points in 2011 and scored a goal in the team’s season-opening loss to Colgate.

While the Bearcats were picked to finish tied for sixth with Albany in their eight-team league, the Orange is not sleeping on Binghamton, especially given the difficulty they’ve had with the team in the past.

Senior Louis Clark said the team faced Binghamton in spring matches and is very familiar with the style of play and tenacity the Bearcats bring to the field.

“We know a few of the lads there,” Clark said. “We know they’re gonna be a big, physical team and stuff like that, but eventually they won’t be able to keep up with our pace and our movement off the ball.”

Tony Asante was crucial to SU’s pace in its first win and came through with the Orange’s lone goal. He aggravated an ankle injury in the 81st minute against Albany and left the game with a trainer, but said he will be ready to go against Binghamton.

The Orange will need Asante against Binghamton’s physicality and forceful attack, which will likely lead to a more active night for freshman goalkeeper Alex Bono. He made a few deflections and diving stops in his debut, but he was only seriously challenged on one or two shots.

With Keegan and senior Trey Jasenski leading the attack, Bono will likely be tested more frequently. Asante believes that Bono will be ready for the task.

“Alex Bono is a good goalie,” Asante said. “Everybody knows about him. He’s probably No. 1 in the nation.”

McIntyre said Bono’s performance against Albany was especially impressive considering it was his first collegiate start in front of a record crowd for Syracuse.

“His presence was good. I think he was confident,” McIntyre said. “He wasn’t asked to do a ton, but when he did that, he was very solid, and I think that’s a great starting spot for Alex.”

Defenders Jordan Murrell and Skylar Thomas were reliable in the opener and will play an integral part in stopping Keegan and Jasenski in trying to lead the Orange to a second-straight victory.

The Orange isn’t thinking about last year’s loss to the Bearcats and is ready for a chance at redemption.

“Everybody is happy right now,” Asante said. “We don’t care about last year. We care about this year, so we’re gonna keep working hard to get Ws.”