Editorial

Organization key factor when finalizing peace forum details

The Syracuse University campus was abuzz Monday and Tuesday as news of the Dalai Lama’s visit spread throughout campus.

As the planning of the event for the two-day peace forum and council continues, university officials and organizers must be clear and efficient with ticket details. Students and community members who wish to attend must also be sure to plan ahead.

“Common Ground for Peace” will take place in October during two class days. If students are interested in attending either of the panels offered, they should let their professors know now.

Seeing the Dalai Lama is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and students should be able to go see him speak, but they must not shirk their school duties. Letting professors know beforehand and working out an agreement shows responsibility on the students’ part.

The panels will take place in the Goldstein Auditorium in Schine Student Center, which holds 1,500 people. The ticket details have not been released for the panels yet. Organizers must make sure that people who want to purchase tickets have all the information ahead of time, so as to avoid the long lines and disappointment that plagued part of campus when Secretary of State Hillary Clinton visited last spring.

The university plans to broadcast the panels live around campus for those who cannot make it to the events. The university tried to do the same thing when Clinton visited, but some students complained that the broadcast was spotty and inconsistent. University officials must make sure to test the system ahead of time to avoid disruptions.

The forum will draw huge numbers of people to campus. Area civil rights advocates may want to come see the events. Dave Matthews fans may just want to visit for the concert. The additional people on campus put a stress on resources. To cope, this requires organization and efficiency on the part of the university and organizers. Parking will need to be figured out, and there will need to be extra security on campus.