Crime

Eight burglaries, two robberies occur during summer months

Eight burglaries and two robberies occurred in the area surrounding Syracuse University during the summer months, making the season a quiet one, said Department of Public Safety Chief Tony Callisto.

Residents of a Euclid Avenue house were shocked to discover they had fallen victim to an overnight burglary. The suspect was granted access through an unlocked window. Expensive electronics such as laptops, iPods and gaming systems left in the living room were stolen, he said.

In this scenario, the suspect was found and some items were returned. The residents have learned their lesson, and now lock their personal belongings in their respective rooms and lock all windows and doors, he said.

In each of the incidents on East Campus, the crimes were ones of opportunity, where residents could have taken preventative measures.

In the two robberies that took place, the victims were walking alone, late at night. The eight homes that were burglarized had unlocked doors and windows. If students take precautions, Callisto said, he believes the number of incidents during the school year will decrease.

“DPS and the Syracuse Police Department do a lot in the way of preventative patrols; we saturate these neighborhoods with patrol officers,” Callisto said.

However, patrol officers are just one of several precautions implemented by local law enforcement offices.

As stated in the campus safety brochure, Your Safety and Security at Syracuse University, which DPS revises every October, students have access to walking and shuttle escorts late at night. Additionally, a special unit of patrol officers, Orange Watch, is on duty from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. during busier nights.

“Peace officers assigned to Orange Watch promote the safety of students who are found walking alone or in small groups; use DPS’ radio network to report any signs of criminal activity or other safety and security concerns; and assist Syracuse Police Department officers on request,” according to the brochure.

Though DPS and SPD do their part in preventing crime on campus, the rest is up to the students, said Benjamin Tupper, a prominent landlord in the areas surrounding the university.

Tupper currently owns 51 houses in the area. Within the last 15 years, he has only dealt with eight break-in incidents. He said he prides himself on taking proper security measures to ensure his houses are not targets for crime.

“I assess the threat level of the house — lighting, crime history on the street, elevation of the house and locks — I find out what the weaknesses are and up the security to defend the weaknesses,” Tupper said.

Although Tupper’s formula has a high success rate, he still believes tenants make the best security systems. The best way to prevent a break-in, he said, is to make the house appear as if someone is home even when it is vacant.

Said Tupper: “Tenants are 80 percent of the equation for preventing crime. Locks, lights and security systems are only 20 percent.”