Letter to the Editor

Campus media, police departments should be more vigilant about campus safety

In a span of 24 hours I received two Department of Public Safety notices. Both involved incidents late at night in Thornden Park. Apparently DPS feels it cannot control crime off campus, but does urge students to use vigilance, walk in groups, use blue lights, etc., but really, there seems to be very little help for students walking late at night next to campus.

This seems to happen each year, as every week or two during the semester there is some sort of conflict with students between Ostrom Avenue and Westcott Street. Maybe problems do not occur that often, but I believe the perception among students is that they do. Why is this not being addressed as a greater concern by the university and Syracuse police, and why is The Daily Orange not emphasizing this issue?

Like it or not, Syracuse University is a great source of income for the community. When there is perceived danger, it affects many areas of the university, from possible enrollment considerations by potential students, to quality of life of students living off campus, to interaction with commercial enterprises off campus by students living on campus.

This can affect how students act, where they go, and if and when they will spend money. When students are attacked adjacent to campus, they are not likely to venture far, not to mention the moral issue of failing to help those who stray just off campus as best we can.

In an era when funding is a great concern, and being realistic about where and when to place officers, there are other ways the problem can be tackled. Better lighting, surveillance cameras and plain-clothes officers are all possibilities.

If DPS does not feel it has enough jurisdiction, then the university should be pressuring Syracuse City police to step up enforcement. I don’t fault any DPS or Syracuse officer on the beat, but at a higher level, someone should be accountable. After all, it’s not just college kids whose safety is at risk; there are many Syracuse residents who live in this area.

If SU can make major changes just to satisfy a few noise complaints on Euclid Avenue in May for MayFest, why, when there are real dangers, is there not some sort of task force or committee to look into this problem? If there is, why am I not reading updates about it in The D.O.?
Sincerely,
William Mellen
Class of 2014
Anthropology major