Sports

A look at Syracuse stadiums, athletic facilities on campus for 11 teams

Carrier Dome
The Carrier Dome has 49,262 seats and is the largest domed stadium in the Northeast. The facility, which opened Sept. 20, 1980, serves as the home to the football team, the men’s and women’s basketball teams and the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams. This past season, the softball team also played two games in the stadium for the first time in program history. The Dome has also played host to NCAA Tournament rounds, including the 2010 Sweet 16 and Elite 8. The stadium has had regional and state competitions in football and NBA preseason games.

Tennity Ice Pavilion
Syracuse’s ice rink has a listed capacity of 350 but has seen crowds of up to 511 during the first four years of the women’s ice hockey program. The pavilion opened in 2000 for recreational purposes and now serves as the home of the Orange’s Division-I women’s hockey team. Still, it’s unlikely Syracuse will field a Division-I men’s hockey team any time soon, as Tennity’s capacity is not large enough to hold the number of fans needed to generate sufficient revenue to offset the costs of scholarships, salaries, equipment, transportation and ice.

J.S. Coyne Field
Coyne Field is home to the women’s field hockey team and is the largest outdoor sports facility on Syracuse’s campus. It includes a press box, a concession area and bleachers capable of holding 2,700 people. The field, which opened in 1975, has also been used for football practice in the fall and men’s and women’s lacrosse practice in the spring. The field had its AstroTurf replaced with Astro 12, a new artificial surface, in 2005.

Soccer Stadium
The SU Soccer Stadium is part of the Lampe Athletics Complex and is home to the men’s and women’s soccer teams. The stadium has a grass playing field, lights for night competition and bleachers extending the length of the field, which can hold up to 1,500 people. The stadium, situated behind Manley Field House, first opened in 1996.

Women’s Building
Gym A in the Women’s Building serves as the practice facility and home court for the Syracuse women’s volleyball team. The two-and-a-half story gymnasium has seating on the floor level and in a balcony overlooking the court. The entire building at the foot of Mount Olympus off Comstock Avenue has a capacity of 3,000 and opened in 1953.

Skytop Softball Stadium
The softball team practices and competes at the Skytop Softball Stadium, located on South Campus. It opened in 2000 and has a capacity of 650 people. The outfield stretches 200 feet down the lines and 215 feet to straightaway center. The stadium is outfitted with lights, making it available for day and night games. A press box sits directly behind home plate above the bleachers.

—Compiled by Jon Harris, asst. sports editor, [email protected]