Whitman : Stith to step down as dean of college

Melvin Stith

Melvin Stith announced Thursday that he will step down as dean of the Martin J. Whitman School of Management.

Stith recently met with Vice Chancellor and Provost Eric Spina and informed him of his intent to close his tenure as dean. The two agreed Stith would continue serving until the end of the 2013 spring semester. However, Stith may decide to leave before then if a viable candidate can accept the position.

Stith notified Whitman faculty of his departure in an email, stating that Spina will attend Whitman’s April faculty meeting to discuss plans to form a search committee for a new dean. Faculty will be asked for input regarding the traits and qualities they desire in their next dean, Stith said in the email.

‘I have thoroughly enjoyed being your dean and working with you to enhance Whitman’s reputation and reach,’ Stith wrote. ‘Thanks for your support and words of encouragement since my arrival in January 2005.’

Stith cited one reason for his departure is that his initial five-year commitment turned into almost nine as Whitman’s dean.

‘It’s very difficult,’ Stith said. ‘I enjoyed being the dean here at Whitman.’

Stith said he hopes to take sabbatical at the end of next year. During that time, he hopes to continue work on issues related to veterans and students of color and their access to graduate programs.

Clint Tankersley, associate dean of undergraduate programs at Whitman, has known Stith since he was a student at Syracuse University in the late 1970s. He said he will miss Stith as both a valued colleague and friend.

‘As dean his mantra has been ‘students first,’ and he has always worked to improve the student opportunities and experiences within the school and enhance the Whitman brand,’ Tankersley said.

With Stith leading Whitman for almost 10 years and serving as dean of other business schools for 25 years, Tankersley said it is understandable that Stith would want to take a break.

‘The Whitman community will miss his leadership and laughter,’ he said.

Stith’s wife, Patricia, assistant provost and associate dean of the Graduate School, said she plans on taking leave once her husband takes his sabbatical.

‘The only thing I can say is that we’ve both thoroughly enjoyed coming back and being on the SU campus and giving whatever we can to Syracuse because we’re Syracuse alumni,’ she said. ‘I think it’s been a real privilege to be able to do that.’