University Union : Indie-pop band to open Block Party

Indie-pop duo Phantogram will open for Cold War Kids and Kaskade at this year’s Block Party, University Union officials announced Wednesday. The concert starts at 6:30 p.m. April 27 after MayFest, a daylong event that takes place in Walnut Park.

‘Usually we pick an up-and-coming act that is facing an upswing in their career,’ said Kenny Consor, director of UU Concerts. ‘Phantogram is the hottest name in the indie-pop world right now.’

Tickets for Block Party are on sale to all Syracuse University and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students for $16 online via Ticketmaster and in person at the Carrier Dome and Schine box offices. Tickets to the general public are $30.

As of Monday, more than 3,500 tickets had been sold, which surpasses the total numbers sold for 2007, 2008 and 2009’s concerts, Consor said. Block Party 2010, which featured N.E.R.D. and headliner Drake, sold approximately 9,500 tickets.

Josh Carter and Sarah Barthel founded Phantogram in 2007 in Saratoga Springs, N.Y. The duo’s music is described as ‘a mix of organic and electronic sounds, with swirling guitar, spaced-out synths and chopped up samples and rhythms.’ Phantogram has played at popular music festivals Lollapalooza and Coachella. The group performed at Funk ‘n Waffles in June 2009. The BBC described Phantogram’s first album as ‘a refreshing, unusual and diverting debut record.’

Consor expects a slight spike in ticket sales after the announcement of the opening act.

‘As far as putting together a diverse show,’ Consor said, ‘we nailed it.’