Spice Rack : Bittersweet symphony: Cafe presents classy ambience, luscious desserts

Atmosphere: 5

Service: 4.5

Distance: 4

Taste: 4.5

Price: 4.5

The white pixie lights glittered brightly in the front window of Bittersweet Caf. The evening wind was chilly, and the small wine and dessert bar looked warm and inviting.

Bittersweet Caf, located at 121 W. Fayette St., combines a unique idea with an adorable atmosphere. Dealing primarily in dessert and wine, it caters directly to most women’s two greatest desires. 

The restaurant touts an extensive wine list with options from all around the world, 30-plus total. Diners can order Bittersweet’s wine in three different sizes: the 2-ounce taste, the 5-ounce glass, or, best of all, by the bottle. With the waitress’ recommendation, I selected Rex Goliath, a pinot noir.

Along with an extensive wine collection, the restaurant also serves paninis, salads and other savory options. The dessert menu features a variety of sweet treats, including fondue and crme brulee. We ordered the cream puff, dubbed Stuff-My-Puff on the dessert menu, and a Bittersweet staple to accompany it: the caramel brownie cheesecake. Both desserts only cost $6.75 each.

Inside the caf, dim lighting flooded the room with an air of romance and relaxation. Mellow pop music floated from unseen speakers. We perched on cushy chairs at our high table against the wall, which gleamed a lovely shade of light pink. A dozen or so stools, as white and luxurious as the chairs, formed a neat row at the bar.

Our waitress soon brought over two magnificent plates. The cream puff looked like a work of art. The choux pastry overflowed with vanilla ice cream and drizzles of dark chocolate crisscrossing the chopped almond sprinkling. The brick-sized rectangle of cheesecake looked overwhelmingly tempting as well, resting regally on a plate dribbled with golden caramel. 

Forks lifted, smiles formed and heavenly satisfaction ensued. The warmth of the puff mingled with the cold ice cream, further enhanced by the hardened chocolate layer. It supplemented the softness with a nice snap. A giant, juicy sliced strawberry garnished the center of the dessert and added a cool tartness. The light and not-too-dry pinot noir paired nicely with the sweet dessert. 

The velvety cheesecake, with its chewy brownie base, had an airy richness. This is a dessert made for people with a verified sweet tooth. Each bite of the cake exuded a lusciousness laden with sugar. Taken with a sip of red wine, several bites could satiate even the deepest craving. It’s definitely a serving meant to share.

Bittersweet’s soft music, low lights, lovebird-themed dcor and divine desserts are seductive. A visit to this cozy sanctuary can transform an ordinary night into a decadent evening of delight.