Scientists discover Facebook may be more accessible, addictive than drugs, alcohol

A new study shows the need to use Facebook can be stronger than an addiction to drugs or alcohol. Social scientists say that more than 350 million people suffer from this condition, known as Facebook Addiction Disorder.

Anthony Rotolo, assistant professor of practice at the School of Information Studies at Syracuse University, said he doesn’t think Facebook in itself is addictive, but it’s the human interaction that draws people in.

‘You’re not thinking about, ‘Boy, I really like clicking that post button a lot,” Rotolo said. ‘What you’re thinking about is, ‘I like the reaction that I get for doing that.”

Chelsea Miner, a sophomore advertising major, said she finds herself consistently checking Facebook on her phone. She said she feels Facebook addiction stems from the need to constantly be informed about other people’s lives.

‘People are social creatures. They’re curious, they’re intrusive,’ Miner said. ‘They want to know what’s going on in people’s lives that aren’t theirs, and they think that maybe people are interested in their lives, too.’

But this constant need for interaction cannot be defined as an addiction, said Dessa Bergen-Cico, assistant professor at the David B. Falk College of Sport and Human Dynamics. Bergen-Cico explained that social media addiction has very different consequences than an addiction to drugs or alcohol. She said most of the consequences with Facebook are social, whereas drug and alcohol addiction can cause disorientation and literal inability to function without the substance.

William Ward, professor of practice in social media at the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, said he feels Facebook is used more frequently in social situations than drugs or alcohol because of the website’s accessibility. He said people are using social media during meals and conversation, and even while they’re walking down the street.

‘There’s times when you wouldn’t drink or smoke around other people, but social media is something that people are doing all the time,’ Ward said.

But not all students see checking Facebook as an absolute necessity. Freshman Kris Murray said he doesn’t find Facebook interesting and spends only 10 to 15 minutes on the site per day.

‘I’ll get on it and I’ll look at stuff, and I’ll be like, ‘I don’t really care what other people are doing,” he said. ‘So I just kind of get bored with it after awhile.’

While the comparison between Facebook addiction and substance addiction seems negative for social media, there are ways to use Facebook in a positive manner, Ward said.

Ward said he teaches his students how use Facebook professionally to be hired for a job. He said he thinks if students want to use their hours on Facebook productively, they should focus on exploring their passions.

‘Students are here at Syracuse studying all kinds of things, from business to journalism to politics, and if that’s where their passions lie, those are the kinds of things that I should see them talking about on social media,’ Ward said.

Rotolo also said he sees Facebook as a generally positive social media outlet. He said the site forms a sense of community among students by allowing them to connect with others and create common interest groups.

He referred to the new SU Memes Facebook page as an example.

‘I think it gives Syracuse students a place to come together and share unique observations that, if you’re a part of this community, you understand, and if you’re not, then it wouldn’t be of interest to you,’ he said.

If a person feels they need help with their Facebook addiction, Bergen-Cico had a few tips. She said she recommends making a contract with someone who could intervene on their behalf when they’re spending too much time on Facebook. If that doesn’t work, she said to delete the Facebook account.

‘Facebook requires a level of self-awareness of how you’re using it, how you feel when you’re not able to use it,’ Bergen-Cico said. ‘And those types of things are kind of a self-assessment.’