Opinion

Letter to the Editor : SA calls on students to get involved in debate over SU’s reputation

I am thankful as each class day begins for my decision to attend Syracuse University. Enrolling in a school where I am among a large group of bright, hardworking and diverse students was of importance to me throughout the college search. With the recent accusations of sexual abuse in the media and the toll that the end of the semester can take on all of us, it can be quite easy to forget about the composition of the institution that we pay our allegiance, our tuition and our endless support to.

This semester, Nicholas Iaquinto, a Student Association assemblymember, and I have spent significant time addressing the recent national attention that SU has received in regards to its national academic ranking, its vision for admitting students and its increased focus on the greater Syracuse community. This semester, we were fortunate enough to have Don Saleh, vice president of enrollment management, as well as beloved professor of history David Bennett in to speak to assemblymembers regarding these highly important and topical issues.

Both gentlemen raised valid points regarding SU’s vision. While Bennett voiced his concerns about the selectivity and practicality of Syracuse’s policies, he made clear that SU has adopted a valiant and admirable way of recruiting and admitting future students. Saleh detailed the significant benefits of admitting a class of students who are increasingly defined by more than traditional standardized testing methods, but still acknowledged the validity of the metrics that most national schools rely upon. It becomes quite clear that this issue cannot be answered simply or quantitatively.

Those who agree but are skeptical of SU’s new vision can accept that this issue carries significant importance. Although I don’t pretend to have a definitive answer to this question, I do know that it is our duty as students, faculty and administrators to continue this discussion. The affection and allegiance that I hold to this school compels me to follow this issue through to its end — and I implore my peers to do the same. Regardless of where this issue brings our school, the combined pledge to pursue a career of Scholarship in Action binds us to question and explore such important issues. During the upcoming Winter Break, sit down with your family, friends and peers to have a meaningful discussion about the SU’s past, present and future place in the global forum of higher education.

Jesse Feitel

College of Arts and Science Assembly Representative

Junior political science major