Opinion

Letter to the Editor : Despite diversity, SU students choose self-separation

Innocent, impressionable freshmen were asked their opinion of Syracuse University so far in one of my classes. The first thing a boy said was: ‘It’s very segregated. All the blacks hang out with blacks, whites with whites.’

Though, by definition, segregation is enforced separation of racial groups, the term is often used to describe the condition of SU. In the past, segregation laws have caused blacks to go to separate schools, use separate water fountains, have separate seating on buses and more. But when people willingly separate themselves from each other, it’s known as self-separation. Consequently, the SU campus itself does not promote segregation; It’s many of the students themselves who are self-separating among various racial groups.

Separating yourself from other racial groups isn’t always a bad thing. It’s natural to be with people who share a common dialect, religion, political affiliation or race. Yet too much of a good thing can lead you to a very narrow perspective of the world. And isn’t college all about broadening your horizons and experiencing new things? We know it’s great to be with people like ourselves, but integration is even more important. Walk along the Quad, go to the library — it’s rare to see people of different races or sexual orientations congregating together.

So where do we draw the line? How do you decide that it is time to become friends with other people? Once you have decided, how do you actually break away from the safe norm and walk up and talk to a group of people you normally wouldn’t? Just do it. It doesn’t hurt to try.

Brittany Moore

On behalf of the National Association of Black Journalist