Opinion

Letter to the Editor : Sexual assault allegations incomparable to scandal at Penn State

I read David Potter’s Letter to the Editor. It should be made clear that this matter, which occurred in 2008, was nothing like the Pennsylvania State University case. These allegations, involving adult Syracuse University students, were initially reported to the SU Department of Public Safety and immediately reported by SU to the Syracuse Police Department. This resulted in an investigation by the Syracuse police, along with a review by the Onondaga County District Attorney’s Office, and the case was then brought before a grand jury, which ultimately declined to pursue criminal charges.

Following conclusion of the grand jury proceeding, the university began its student judicial disciplinary process. Under that established process, one potential avenue of recourse is a negotiated, informal resolution between a complainant and an accused student(s). Consistent with its judicial procedures, the university explored the possibility of an informal resolution with resulting sanctions; however, once the complainant indicated she wanted to pursue a full hearing, a hearing was promptly conducted. The hearing, before a panel consisting of independent faculty and staff, lasted close to six hours and resulted in similar disciplinary sanctions against the students.

Tony Callisto

Chief and Director of Public Safety, Syracuse University