Opinion

Letter to the Editor : College Democrats endorse Dylan Lustig

On behalf of the College Democrats at Syracuse University, I endorse Dylan Lustig for president of the Student Association.

Before endorsing a candidate, the College Democrats sought to learn more about the duties of the SA president. Within the oath of office was the clearest description of the duties of the president. As a result, our endorsement was based on the oath.

The oath included the line, ‘Will you, during your term in office, actively work towards making this Association reflect and meet the needs of its constituency and membership?’ Considering the appearances of both candidates before our organization, statements to the media and after reviewing their platforms, we felt it was Lustig who best embraced the idea that the president must ‘actively work’ to ensure that SA reflects and meets the needs of both the student body and the assembly representatives.

Lustig embraced the idea in several ways. First, his ‘Let Your Voice Be Heard’ slogan indicated his determination to reflect students. Additionally, he created home college committees, through which assembly representatives must now work to make legitimate efforts to communicate with and act for their constituencies. Finally, for the duration of Neal Casey’s presidency, Lustig has been the vice-chair of the Student Engagement Committee, dedicated to finding campus issues to be addressed by SA. Lustig’s overt dedication to reflecting and meeting the needs of students was the basis of our decision.

We give Lustig our support. We encourage you to do the same.

Chris Leist

Vice President

College Democrats at Syracuse University