Opinion

Letter to the Editor : Actions of a few Occupiers don’t speak for important movement

This is a response to an opinion column by Lauren Tousignant, published on Nov. 2.

Criticism of the Occupy movement began as soon as a dozen or so people set up camp in Zuccotti Park; and it has only intensified as thousands more across the country took to public spaces to have their voices heard. Some say the Occupiers have no coherent message and lack strong leadership or that they fail to understand the underlying issues driving their own movement. These criticisms are unfortunate and misguided.

A coherent message has emerged: the wealth of a few has perverted our system of government, encouraging our own representatives to work toward the interests of whoever can fund their re-election. If that message has been blurred by the myriad of other injustices people face in this country, it is not a reflection on misguided Occupiers, but rather an expression of just how bad things have become in the midst of complacency. There is one job opening for every four unemployed people. Education costs have skyrocketed. New income goes nearly exclusively to the very richest. We are entangled in long-running foreign conflicts. The list goes on.

A person does not need to be a mechanic to know when their car is not running properly. If our elected officials were compelled to do their jobs and fix the immense problems that plague our nation, we would not be mocked for not knowing exactly how to do so.

The criticism of the lack of strong leadership is most troubling, though. When people come together, mutually agree to hear each other as equals and make decisions by consensus after every voice is heard, that is democracy. If our critics cannot recognize the spirit of democracy, then truly there is much work and education to be done.

Most other criticisms are too petty to acknowledge. If Occupiers can be dismissed as sex-crazed drug addicts, imagine the broad stroke that could paint all college students. Is every college student a binge-drinking, public-urinating lay about who is willing to risk hypothermia to get to the club looking good during the heart of winter? Certainly not.

Judgments should not be cast upon a group based on the words or actions of an individual. If you do not understand Occupy Wall Street, do a few seconds of research and read their declaration. If you do not understand Occupy Syracuse, stop down and grab some of our literature.

General Assembly

Occupy Syracuse