Thirsty Thursday : Beer at the Syracuse Irish Festival

Looking to get in touch with your Irish heritage? Or maybe you’ve always wanted to buy a kilt? Whatever you’re aiming to do when it comes to Ireland, you can find it at the Syracuse Irish Festival. And yes, that includes beer.

The Syracuse Irish Festival, held downtown in Clinton Square, is a great way to get acquainted with the city and with some ethnic culture this weekend. Friday from noon to 11 p.m. and Saturday from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., the fair will be filled with traditional food, beverages, vendors and, of course, music.

Some people might be afraid to try out an Irish beer — let’s face it, Guinness can be intimidating, and, frankly, you can’t chug it like a Keystone. But dark stouts like Guinness are filling and flavorful, not watery like cheaper beers.

The Irish Festival serves all beers on tap, so you get the foamy head of the Guinness when you order — the way it’s supposed to be served. In addition, the festival offers other traditional Irish beers such as Harp Lager, a creamier ale, and Smithwick’s, a red ale.

Entrance to the festival is free, but donations are suggested. Once you’re in, you can grab a cold draft and peruse the vendors as well. In addition to authentic kilts, there are plenty of traditional Irish clothing and wares.

And don’t forget to check out the two main stages, where from noon on you can catch local Irish step dancing schools performing and classic Irish bands complete with bagpipes.

Don’t think you can make it to the Syracuse Irish Festival this weekend? You can have your own Irish Festival right on your porch or in your dorm. If you’re 21, of course. Try out some Irish Car Bombs:

3/4 pint Guinness beer

1/2 shot Bailey’s Irish Cream

1/2 shot Jameson Irish Whiskey

Normally, you could skimp and grab a cheaper variety of Irish Cream or whiskey. But to be authentically Irish, go with the Bailey’s and the Jameson. To make, layer the Jameson on the Bailey’s in a normal shot glass. Pour out the Guinness into a beer mug and let the head settle. Drop the layered shot, glass and all, into the beer. CHUG. And chug fast, or the Irish Cream will curdle and make for a pretty rough drink.

— Katie McInerney, special projects editor, [email protected]