FB : Marrone announces suspensions of Miller, Sales; Gulley out 7-10 days

This time, Doug Marrone cleared the air.

Three days after he made no mention of the ‘distractions’ surrounding his Syracuse football team during his opening statement at Big East media day, the head coach took the podium inside the Carrier Dome Aug. 5 to make several announcements.

‘Again, we have some orders of business that we have to take care of first. Obviously, Marcus Sales and Jonny Miller, at this point, are suspended from the football program,’ Marrone said, promising to give further information when it becomes available.

And so began a laundry list of news items that Marrone shared with media at SU’s annual media day. The suspension of Sales and Miller, both arrested in separate incidents five days apart, headlined the housekeeping. He also provided an update on the status of Prince-Tyson Gulley, who was stabbed July 29, as well as an injury report for the Orange slightly more than an hour before the team took the field for its first practice in 2011.

On Aug. 3, Miller became the third SU football player to be arrested this summer. Police took Miller, a sophomore quarterback who saw no playing time last year, and former high school teammate Bryce Givens into custody on suspicion of punching and robbing a man in the early morning hours that day, according to an article in The Daily Camera.

The victim, a 21-year-old man, told police he was approached by Miller and Givens in downtown Boulder, Colo., at 3:30 a.m., according to the article. The victim said one of the men punched him in the face, and the two ran off with his wallet and cellphone.

Police believe Miller threw the punch, according to the article.

‘When things happen around you in a negative situation, you have to turn them around into an educational experience for everyone else,’ Marrone said. ‘I informed the team that any questions that they get about those situations or incidents to refer them to me, no matter how outside the realm they may be.’

Sales, a senior wide receiver, faces felony drug charges following his arrest July 29. Neither Sales nor Miller were in attendance for the media day event.

Gulley, however, was in attendance. The sophomore running back who suffered multiple stab wounds in the early morning hours of July 29 appeared on the field with his teammates, in uniform. He did not wear pads but did jog around.

Marrone said the team was excited Gulley was healing from his injury and that it would be seven to 10 days before Gulley could participate fully in practice.

‘He’ll be on the field with us doing everything with us, but as far as his full availability, it will be within probably seven to 10 days,’ Marrone said. ‘We look forward to his return to the field and him being very productive for us as a player,’

Sure enough, Gulley was back on the field for the Orange in preseason camp and had a strong set of practices once he returned, both as a running back and special teams return man.

A 19-year-old Syracuse resident was arraigned Aug. 4 in Syracuse City Court in connection to the assault, according to an article published online Aug. 5 by The Post-Standard. Kivon Davis was accused of felony second-degree assault and misdemeanor fourth-degree criminal possession of a weapon. Davis is out of custody, according to the article.

When asked if the recent distractions will affect SU going forward with training camp, Marrone said they can pose problems as the team tries to win football games. But he stressed that the team’s preparation and work ethic remain the same as it tries to compete for a Big East championship.

‘I think a lot of times in life, as long as you know that you’re doing everything possible to do the right thing, then we’re OK. There’s no need to defend ourselves,’ Marrone said. ‘I truly believe that in my heart.

‘But I have the philosophy of distractions. I think that distractions can take away from your focus and your energy to win football games, and that is a concern.’

Adkins out with undisclosed health problem

In his opening statement, Marrone also revealed offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator Greg Adkins would be away from the team for the start of preseason camp with a health issue.

Marrone would not specify what was wrong, but he did say that he will be working with the offensive line while Adkins is out.

‘Coach Adkins has a medical situation that he’s out with,’ Marrone said. ‘It’s not life threatening. Obviously, we look forward to his return. The responsibility of coaching the offensive line now is with me.’

Marrone played on the offensive line during his career at Syracuse from 1983-85. He has also been an offensive line coach during several stops in his career, including Georgia Tech, Georgia and the New York Jets.

Adkins returned to work for the Orange Aug. 10.

This and that

Steven Rene, a sophomore running back, is sidelined by an infection. He is receiving treatment at his home. … Oliver Haney, a senior nose tackle, is not participating in contact drills until Aug. 12. … Carl Cutler, a senior fullback, is out with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.