The morning after: Any hangover is curable with these local breakfast diners

It’s Saturday morning, and you are faced with a decision that may make or break the day. Down glasses of water or orange juice. To get greasy food or to just remain motionless in bed, that is the dilemma. Sadly, you ate your last bowl of Easy Mac last night. Walking to the dining halls is way too much work, ramen noodles just aren’t going to cut it anymore and Marshall Street breakfast foods are almost nonexistent. Fear not, because as long as a friend (or anyone who passed out in the immediate area) owns a car, Syracuse’s diner scene offers a variety of choices and environments to fit any hungover craving. Sure, you could microwave leftover Taco Bell, but a 10 minute or less drive to a number of local breakfast joints will make all the difference.

Name it: Mother’s Cupboard Fish Fry

Find it: 3709 James St. in Syracuse, about 10 minutes from campus

Bring along: Your closest friends

Eat it: Frittata, pancakes

At first glance, you may wonder why so many cars are parked outside a little red shack off the side of the road.

The smell of pancakes, grease and home fries pours out of the small diner and hits you as the car door opens. Ah yes, that’s why.

Without the long lines, hectic environment or bright lighting of an IHOP-style breakfast locale, Mother’s Cupboard Fish Fry is easy on the wallet and the senses. What Mother’s Cupboard lacks in space and seating capacity, it makes up for in portion size. Bring your appetite because Mother’s Cupboard will put any hangover to the test.

‘It’s unique. You get big portions, its relaxing, its small,’ said Vince Berry, a senior sociology major and regular patron for the past two years. ‘It kind of makes you feel like you’re at home.’

After its construction as a residence in the late 1800s, Mother’s Cupboard opened as a restaurant in 1921 and now offers both breakfast and lunch. Mother’s Cupboard shuts down at 1:30 p.m., so if you want to make it over there, you’ll have to stop wallowing in your stomach pains pretty quickly.

Business has sped up since its feature as the food challenge on Travel Channel’s popular show ‘Man vs. Food,’ said grill cook Peter Greene. Greene grew up in Syracuse, attending Jamesville-Dewitt High School. He has been manning the grill for the past 12 years, cooking mountains of home fries and Frisbee-sized pancakes just a few feet from the bar. Though chefs at bigger breakfast joints may remain anonymous, Mother’s Cupboard patrons know him simply as Pete.

‘I like the community, I like the fact that we’re tied to Syracuse,’ Greene said. ‘It’s that whole Orange pride thing.’

Waitress Bonnie Celi has seen plenty of students come and go and come back again.

‘We see a lot of students and alumni come in, bring their families and friends,’ she said.

Mother’s Cupboard is small and cramped at times, but the wait staff is personable and responsive, delivering service with a smile to combat that last gulp of Four Loko.

The key to success at Mother’s Cupboard: Don’t bring the whole gang.

‘I think they do all right, but the more people there are, it’d be a mess,’ Berry said. ‘There’d be a wait, and it’d kind of take away from it. It’d become more like Stella’s (Diner).’

With limited seating, size the group to four or less people. The wait will be shorter, and fewer elbows will be bumping as you tear through a mound of breakfast goodness. Plus, word will spread slower if you bring people you trust not to dish the secret that is Mother’s Cupboard.

Name it: All Night Egg Plant

Find it: 5781 Bridge St., East Syracuse, about 10 minutes from campus

Bring along: The family or a date

Eat it: Pancakes

Nick Massa has been eating at the All Night Egg Plant for as long as he can remember. A junior conservation biology major at the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Massa has remained loyal to the Egg Plant since he was first introduced to it years ago.

‘You get a lot of food for what you pay,’ Massa said. ‘My mom came here in high school, and I’ve been coming here since I was a kid.’

For the adventurous eater, the Egg Plant offers eight different kinds of cheeses and numerous, albeit slightly ridiculous, additives to its omelets. Fruit, chocolate chips or even peanut butter can open hungover horizons. For a relaxed breakfast with medium portion sizes and friendly service, the Egg Plant is perfect.

‘I think a lot of people don’t venture off campus, most people probably don’t even know about it,’ said senior surface pattern design major Sophia Reale. ‘I like it a lot more than going to Denny’s or something.’

Name it: Stella’s Diner

Find it: 110 Wolf St. in Syracuse, about 10 minutes from campus

Bring along: The crowd from last night

Eat it: Breakfast combo, omelets

Just another hungry face in the line of customers outside Stella’s Diner, one student drew looks. Dressed in jeans and a fleece jacket, on any other day he would have blended in. Too bad a slightly faded black mustache, stretching from ear to ear, remained on his face.

‘We just had a girl come in and she asked, ‘I’m in line, could I please have some water,’ said Stella’s waitress Jennifer Roland. ‘One table this morning still looked half dressed in their (Halloween) costumes.’

At Stella’s, last night’s clothing, partially destroyed theme party outfits and that ‘I haven’t showered since Thursday’ look should never be deterrents. Just be ready to have many people stare.

Stella’s, located near Carousel Mall, has been feeding locals and hungover students for years. Food choices at Stella’s range from corn beef hash to jambalaya. If you can’t stomach fried clams quite yet, Stella’s is known for its breakfast and anything else that a pounding headache could want, all day long (5 a.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends).

‘It’s the best. We were hooked once we came here one time,’ said senior finance and political science major Sarah Turney, who was with a small group of friends.

Running into a friend, classmate or that girl who bought you a cheeseburger last night is likely, considering the large seating area at Stella’s. Beware of waiting, as the restaurant’s popularity is its biggest weakness. The staff is friendly, but call ahead to make sure you don’t end up annoyed before you even sit down.

‘I just think that the people are really nice even though this place is crazy,’ said Alex Rauluk, a senior finance major. ‘They’re still in a good mood.’