SU senior becomes of youngest to anchor ESPN game

One Syracuse University student earned an opportunity that few sports fans get to experience in a lifetime.

Senior broadcast journalism and information management and technology major Stephen Andress appeared on ESPN as the play-by-play announcer for the college basketball game between Miami and West Virginia on ESPNU, the branch of ESPN that focuses on college sports, this past December.

Andress was joined by college basketball analyst Jay Williams, 27, who formerly played for Duke University and the Chicago Bulls. Together, the two were the youngest commentating team in the network’s history.

The program was called ‘ESPN Campus Connection.’ It recruits students from schools across the country to produce their own televised segments, including sideline and play-by-play reporting of college sports events. It came to SU last year after its start at the University of North Carolina in 2007.

He made his televised debut during a football game between Syracuse and Connecticut on Nov. 15, during a last-minute mix-up that left him replacing a commentator only three days before the game.

‘At the beginning of the week, we needed a sideline person,’ said Andress. ‘We found out Wednesday that it was a play-by-play person. The sideline person didn’t have any experience doing play-by-play, and two other people couldn’t give me an answer.

‘I might as well take a risk because I’d rather put myself on there and take responsibility for myself,’ he said.

A sports fan since his childhood, Andress was chosen out of a handful of dedicated juniors and seniors in the program.

‘They said, ‘Let’s see what the kid can do,’ so they put me on, which was a great opportunity for me. That was kind of my debut, so to speak, on ESPN. On that point forward I got a call about a week later, at 10 at night, from the coordinating producer for ESPN basketball. He said ‘how’d you like to do a couple more basketball games for us?’

‘Very nonchalantly I said, ‘great,’ but on the inside I’m going berserk, I couldn’t believe it.’

Broadcast journalism professor John Nicholson said he has faith in Andress’ abilities in front of a camera. As a campus liaison for ESPN Campus Connection, Nicholson helped with over 200 events for ESPN, and has witnessed every step of Andress’ participation in the program.

‘Any good sportscaster prepares well. Steve is a good sportscaster in that sense, as well as others,’ Nicholson said. ‘He’s a talented young man. I’m confident he’ll make us look good and he’ll open the door for other students to follow.’

Despite his relative inexperience, Andress said the ESPN staff has been supportive and welcoming. He also said his friends showed no sudden turns of jealousy.

‘You might think they might be cocky or big shots who may not have the time of day for college students coming in, but it’s completely the opposite. You really get the sense that they like what they’re doing, but they don’t let it get to their head.

‘My closest friends have not changed at all since they found out about it. I’m friends with the right people.’

Nicholson noted the similarity between Andress and two famous SU alums, NBC sportscaster Bob Costas and CBS Sportsline host Jason Horowitz, both of whom started their careers at 22 as well.

‘He’s at the front of a very fast pack. He’s off to a good start. Let’s see where it goes.’