Baker out as director of SU Greek life: After shaky tenure, he moves on to Penn State

Roy Baker, director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs at Syracuse University, announced his resignation in July. He formally left the university on Aug. 17 and will start in a similar position at Pennsylvania State University today.

SU is conducting a national search to replace Baker. As of Sunday evening, the university had not found a replacement, said Kevin Morrow, director of SU News Services.

Until a replacement is announced, Juanita Williams, associate dean of students, has assumed the position of interim director, said Matthew Snyder of SU News Services. Karen Broughton, Assistant Director of SU Student Life has stepped up as temporary director of the sorority system.

Baker did not return phone calls for comment.

When asked why Baker was leaving SU, Snyder declined to comment, but added that it was a ‘good opportunity’ for Baker.

‘The university gives him the best of luck,’ he said.

During his short time at SU, Baker shook up SU Greek life by applying stricter regulations for fraternities and sororities. Such changes include mandatory guest lists for parties and full-year housing commitments.

‘Roy has been instrumental in our fraternities’ and sororities’ renewed success in the area of self-governance, and he has taken Greek philanthropy and anti-violence efforts to new heights,’ said Anastasia L. Urtz, SU’s associate vice president and dean of students. ‘We are grateful for Roy’s commitment to Greek life at Syracuse University, and we wish him the best in his new role at Penn State.’