Concierge service saves busy college students ‘Precious Time’

All college students have had that day. It’s around 11 at night and the telltale signs of an all-nighter are starting to arrive. Sticky notes everywhere serve as reminders of what should be done, and it’s time for writing that five page paper.

Last week’s clothing, class assignments and who knows what else are all on the floor, and just when it can’t get any worse, the dresser drawer reveals the last pair of clean socks. Hunger’s set in and rather than take out, a good meal would really save the night. At this point there are two options: cloning to make another one of you or the money to hire a personal assistant to clean, do laundry and pick up food. Drew Austin, a junior entrepreneurship and emerging enterprises major, doesn’t hold the key to cloning, but he does have a way to save Syracuse University students’ precious time.

Austin is the chief executive officer of the new college concierge service, Precious Time. His real last name is Greenfeld, but he replaced it with his middle name for his business. With the slogan, ‘You ask … we deliver,’ the completely student run company has provided SU and State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry students the same star treatment given to professional athletes, celebrities and high-powered executives since its founding in October 2005.

‘We’re just trying to give college students their first taste of success,’ Austin said.

Some of the services provided by Precious Time are pick up and delivery of food and beverages, as well as delivery and pick up of school supplies, groceries, movies, music and pharmaceuticals. The company also has the ability to connect students with house cleaning services, computer technicians, taxi services and tutors. It welcomes any challenges and comes through with deliveries of anything from bathroom towels and suitcases to condoms and tampons.

John Stewart, chief operations officer of Precious Time and a junior environmental studies major, is always amused by unusual requests.

‘One of the best deliveries was this kid who called in said, ‘I need a box of cereal, bowls, spoons and milk’ … we also had an 11 p.m. call for hot dogs and buns once,’ Stewart said. ‘If it’s possible, we’ll do it.’

This company may seem too good to be true, but Austin and Stewart explained it was meant to be easy and inexpensive. Customers put money onto an account and every time a delivery is made, it’s debited from the account. There is no membership fee, but students must put a minimum of $50 on the account when it is set up and also pay a small delivery fee. The company makes 10 to 15 deliveries a day, and just reached its 700th delivery, all by word of mouth.

Carl Mills, a junior political science major, said he was quite impressed with the company.

‘A lot of kids at this at this school would use it,’ Mills said. ‘It seems like a pretty affordable idea. If they keep it that way, I think they could be very successful.’

Jani German, a senior international relations major, and Lindsay Peres, a junior psychology major, found the company practical and useful.

‘It’s definitely clever and ideal for students who don’t have any time.’ Peres said.

‘I’d use it. Not as an everyday thing, but if I’m slumped with work all day during midterms or finals,’ German said. ‘If you know you can get Dinosaur BBQ instead of Campus Delivery, I’d call.’

The Precious Time Web site is set to launch next week, and the company plans to celebrate at a promotional party sometime in the next few months.

Austin is hoping to take their idea to other colleges and broaden it to major metropolises like New York City.

‘We’d eventually like to make it like Starbucks. One in every town,’ Austin said.