Stanford’s injury-causing, springy floor to be removed

When it moves you move – just like that.

As ‘Ludacris’ as it sounds, that’s how Stanford’s basketball floor works.

But not for long.

Stanford’s administration announced last month that the one-of-a-kind floor will be replaced when remodeling begins on Maples Pavilion at the end of men’s and women’s basketball seasons.

The $30 million renovation originally never involved the floor’s replacement, but after much debate, Stanford administration decided that the floor must go.

The floor, designed by Stanford graduate John Carl Warnecke, was installed when the Pavilion opened in 1969. Nine inches of crosshatched wood and air was supposed to create a coil-spring effect preventing injuries.

But it apparently did just the opposite.

A San Jose Mercury News study done last season found that the Stanford men’s basketball team had suffered 13 stress-related injuries in the past 10 years – more than three times what other Pacific 10 Conference schools had suffered.

ESPN college basketball writer Andy Katz admitted recently in a column that oftentimes he can’t read his own notes after a game at Maples. Not because he writes too fast, but because the floor moves up and down.

Though the floor is not scientifically proven to cause injuries, it was a topic of debate for Stanford’s administration for months while deciding to get a new floor or not.

The cost of a new floor is approximately $400,000. Stanford alumni and friends have funded the entire Maples Pavilion renovation, including the new floor.

‘(Getting a new floor) is not that big of a deal,’ Stanford head coach Mike Montgomery said. ‘We’re the only school in the country with a bouncy floor, so I guess I’ll get a little bit of nostalgia the last time we play on it. Other than that, I don’t feel one way or the other about seeing it go. It’s still going to be 94 by 50 (feet) and we still have to play on it.’

A floor might be a floor, but once the rest of Maples Pavilion is renovated the arena will be a spectacle, Stanford Director of Athletics Tom Leland said.

‘This is a very exciting time,’ Leland said in a press release after the renovation announcement. ‘This renovation will benefit both our student-athletes and our fans for years to come.’

The renovation will include a new concourse, a jumbo scoreboard, as well as new locker rooms, strength and conditioning room, training room and meeting rooms.

Renovators also plan on installing new theater-style seats, replacing the wood bleachers in the lower part of the arena. A small gain in the 7,391 seating capacity is expected.

But rival Pac-10 teams shouldn’t breathe easy. Montgomery promises Maples Pavilion will still have the same raucous environment as it always has.

‘In our case, we’re just adding simple amenities for the fan,’ Montgomery said. ‘We’re not affecting the ambience in the facility at all. The floor will be the only big change for all the players involved.’

Last Saturday, when No. 2 Stanford forward Nick Robinson hit a game-winning 3-pointer as time expired against then-No. 12 Arizona, the Cardinal faithful – including Stanford alum Tiger Woods – immediately engulfed the backup forward in a pig pile. It’s that type of enthusiasm that makes Maples Pavilion, one of the best atmospheres in all of college basketball, Montgomery said.

‘Everybody thrives in a real good environment,’ Montgomery said. ‘Our sixth man has been great. Good teams are probably not intimidated, but a good home crowd can really sustain what you’re doing on the court.’

NO. 2 STANFORD (-14) AT CALIFORNIA

10 p.m., SATURDAY

The Cardinal is undefeated on the season after bench-warmer Nick Robinson hit a 40-foot runner as time expired against No. 15 Arizona last Saturday. Maples Pavilion erupted and Robinson dove to the corner of the notorious, springy floor. Robinson’s dive has since inspired Stanford’s administration to come up with another genius idea for the renovations of its floor – a Slip ‘N Slide. Chalk this one up with the first trampoline-like floor and dropping the ‘s’ from its nickname. Who’s running this school anyway?

Pick: Stanford 87, California 71

SYRACUSE (-6) AT MIAMI

2P.M., SATURDAY, TW 26

Syracuse’s offense could use some muster like Gerry ‘Golden Boy’ McNamara could use some sun. Syracuse hopes it gets both on Saturday in the Sunshine State.

Pick: Syracuse 56, Miami 49

OHIO ST. (+8) AT NO. 14 WISCONSIN

7P.M., SATURDAY, ESPN

What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day than watching these two red and white teams battle on the hardwood? Unless of course, you’re Wisconsin guard Maurice ‘Boo’ Wade, who is charged with choking a woman and pushing her into a bathtub at the woman’s apartment. Happy Valentine’s Day to you too, Boo! Play on playa.

Pick: Wisconsin 83, Ohio State 71

SETON HALL (+3) AT NOTRE DAME

12P.M., SATURDAY, ESPN

If ever a game were to come down to guard play, it’s this one. Seton Hall point guard Andre Barrett has been next to unstoppable this year in the Big East, while Notre Dame point guard Chris Thomas dropped 31 in the Irish’s upset victory over Connecticut this past Monday. So in this case we go with the prettier uniforms.

Pick: Seton Hall 75, Notre Dame 70

INDIANA (PICK ‘EM) AT PURDUE

4:37P.M., SATURDAY

The last time these two met, Indiana knocked off No. 21 Purdue – a loss that sent Purdue spiraling out of the Top 25. This time around, the tables will be turned. Indiana forward Patrick Ewing Jr. was suspended for last night’s game against Penn State for skipping class. The son of former Knicks star Patrick Ewing didn’t know that skipping class to attend the Gold Club in Atlanta with Daddy wasn’t a legitimate excuse.

Pick: Purdue 64, Indiana 60

BATTLE STANDINGS

While his state’s presidential candidate is spiraling into abject

failure, Bisang has rocketed to the top of some more important standings.

Howard Done (Bisang) 10-5

Joonah (Janela) 10-5

E. Nathan (Becker) 10-5

Francesa (Kilgore) 10-5

P. Schreiber (Johnson) 10-5

S. Johnston (Fontes) 9-6

Fifty Wings (Grimaldi) 9-6

Mr. Stirfry (Iorizzo) 9-6

I. Jones (Slater) 9-6

Anorexia Story (Freedman) 8-7

NECKCAR (Cavanna) 8-7

Lenny (Licker) 7-8

O. Prime (Anthes) 7-8

B. Wilson (Lieber) 7-8

M. Golic (Tiberii) 6-9

1918 (Gorman) 6-9

Banks of Raritan (Mague) 6-9

63 Percent (Chico) 6-9

J. Ritter (Carlson) 5-10

F’in … (Young) 5-10

+/- (Weintraub) 5-10

IRA (Murphy) 5-10

Holla Ma (Saslow) 4-11