One World Celebration works to promote multicultural appreciation

Diversity is considered one of Syracuse University’s core values, and for 15 days this winter, several organizations have highlighted that value by sponsoring the fourth annual One World Celebration.

The event, which began last Wednesday with a Parade of Cultures at Hendricks Chapel and ends March 5, is an effort by international relations students and One World to bring together different cultures in one event. This year’s theme is the International Celebration of Mardi Gras.

“The One World Celebration is meant to shed the spotlight on the multicultural, international and diverse environment that we have going on every day at this university,” said Thomas Wolfe, dean of Hendricks Chapel and chairman of the One World Celebration committee. “We just plan the opening and closing ceremonies, and then, we invite organizations to plan their activities having to do with internationalism and diversity within those dates.”

The Phi Beta Delta Honors Society for International Scholars is the main organizer of the event. Each chapter of the national organization works to promote internationalism, and the SU chapter has spent six months working on this celebration, said Michael Smithee, associate director of the Slutzker Center for International Issues and chapter coordinator of Phi Beta Delta.

“We all are very excited about the One World Celebration,” Smithee said. “It’s a snapshot of what happens every week of every year. All you need to do is look around, and that’s the message we’re trying to get out.”

Smithee believes that celebrating international and multicultural events is especially important in regard to the current political situation. People need to understand and value other cultures, finding the good in all, he said.

“We can’t wave our flag and say, ‘hey, we’re perfect,’ ” Smithee said. “But, when people from other parts of the world look at the United States, they see some good people. We need to do the same for them.”

The One World Celebration includes activities such as lectures, musical performances, receptions, conferences and displays. Upcoming events include the Maxwell Cultural Fair Performances and Reception at 6 p.m today, an International Celebration of Mardi Gras with snacks, jazz, international music and prizes from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the Tennity Ice Skating Pavilion and MeditArabian Nights, a night of entertainment and food, held at 6:30 p.m Sunday in Goldstein Auditorium, said Geraldine de Berly, associate dean of academic affairs and a member of the event’s organizing committee.

“The best part of it is that we’re bringing people together instead of being stuck within the disciplines,” de Berly said. “We want people to be able to talk to each other.”

The One World Celebration ends March 5 with a closing ceremony held from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Goldstein Alumni and Faculty Center. Food and entertainment will be provided, de Berly said.

Other sponsors of the event include the Division of International Programs Abroad, the English Language Institute, Hendricks Chapel, the International Relations Program, the School of Management, The State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry Multicultural Outreach and the Office of Greek Life and Multicultural Affairs. The Division of Student Affairs University Encounter grant pays for the event, Wolfe said.

The One World Celebration becomes more successful each year and is continuously growing, Wolfe said.

“Everything is open to everybody. The more the merrier,” Wolfe said.