Students hold forum to discuss blackface incident

A forum Wednesday night brought members of a campus fraternity – in the hot seat since one of their white members went out to the bars Tuesday night with face, arms and hands painted black – together with students who protested the incident and the university’s dealings with minorities.

After being told by university administrators that it would not be appropriate for members of Sigma Alpha Epsilon to attend the event, several fraternity members went anyway.

They addressed the group and read a prepared statement, apologizing, calling blackface wrong, saying the offense was unintentional, and pledging to work to increase awareness about racial issues.

‘We are a diverse house and do not want this incident to ruin any of our relationships,’ the statement said. ‘We sincerely apologize for this event and we are regretful that it occurred in the first place.’

About 100 students and faculty members attended the forum in Hendricks Chapel. Many of the students had worked for the previous 24 hours, organizing a sit-in at the university’s administration building which took place earlier in the afternoon. Several students met Chancellor Kenneth A. Shaw with a list of demands (see graphic), including the expulsion of SAE senior Aaron Levine, who wore the make-up, and the suspension of the fraternity.

Levine and the fraternity need to accept the punishments that are dealt to them, said David Farhat, a third-year law student. It would be unfair to allow the group to only apologize.

‘People need to understand that this is not a game, this is not a practical joke,’ Farhat said. ‘This goes back to my being pulled over every once in a while just because I am black.

‘This goes to our ancestors being enslaved. This goes to our ancestors not going to college. This goes to us coming to college and not feeling comfortable.’

The Team Against Bias, a university group, sponsored the forum, but was not happy with everything that was said.

Several women spoke of their concern for the SAE fraternity, to which one Team Against Bias member took umbrage.

‘Men commit these acts and then women come out to support them,’ said Leslie Grinner, a doctoral candidate and Team member. ‘It’s always the women in these sororities who come to the defense of these drunken assholes.’

The problem with the women speaking was not as much what they were saying, but their defense of the fraternity, Grinner said.

University officials lauded the students. Director of the Office of Multicultural Affairs James Duah-Agyeman thanked the students in attendance and those who worked through the night for their commitment and activism. The acts the group performed made it nearly impossible for the administration to ignore the issue, he said.

He also asked the students to hold him and others accountable to the cause. If he falters, the students need to press him, Duah-Agyeman said.

‘What you have demonstrated gave me a sense that I can count on a group of students to get that message through,’ he said.

Earlier in the day, Shaw praised the students with whom he met:

‘I found the give and take to be the kind of thing from people who want to get to a ‘yes,” he said.