DeShaun Williams arrested, suspended

Syracuse men’s basketball guard DeShaun Williams was arrested late Wednesday night on charges of assault stemming from his involvement in a barroom brawl that left one woman hospitalized.

Williams was arraigned on Thursday morning on a single count of third-degree assault, a misdemeanor. He could not be reached for comment.

Nicole Wilcox, an SU student who plays Otto the Orange, was hurt in the brawl at Konrad’s, according to witnesses. Wilcox was treated at Crouse Hospital for a gash over her left eye and released, Syracuse police told the Associated Press.

John Cadorette, the owner of Konrad’s Bar, denied a fight took place.

“I saw the police outside talking to some people,” Cadorette said, “but I don’t know anything about it.”

A woman who answered the phone at Wilcox’s South Campus apartment quickly stated “No comment” and hung up the phone. Police Spokesman Tom Connellan did not return multiple phone calls to his office Thursday, nor did he respond to two messages left on his voice mail.

SU spokesperson Kevin Morrow said the University is aware of the situation and will wait until police officials have completed their investigation before the University’s judicial process begins.

While Morrow could not comment on Williams’ case, he said students arrested for violent crimes typically face interim suspensions while the case is under investigation. A source close to Williams confirmed he has been suspended from school and was told to leave campus by Thursday evening.

“The office of the district attorney takes the lead on such a matter,” Morrow said. “We are investigating this matter, but the matter would not go through the system until the D.A. office completes its investigation.”

Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim is attending a coach’s conference in New Orleans and was unavailable for comment. Williams will almost certainly face disciplinary action from the SU athletic department.

If Syracuse kicks Williams off the team, the roster will likely contain just eight scholarship athletes next season. Syracuse lost Billy Edelin before the season started when the University suspended him for an alleged sexual assault. Fellow freshman Mark Konecny transferred midseason, and after the season starting point guard James Thues and seldom-used reserve Greg Davis transferred.

Director of Athletics Jake Crouthamel and his assistants referred all calls regarding Williams to Morrow’s office.

Williams is no stranger to controversy, having been charged with driving while intoxicated in March. He was eventually convicted of driving while ability impaired.