Wiccan stereotypes refuted by followers

Broomsticks, evil spells, magic wands and frog eyes. What in the name of witchcraft is going on here?

For modern-day practitioners of Wicca, the “religion of the witches,” these ideas couldn’t be farther from the truth. Often lumped with Satanism, and mocked endlessly come Halloween or a Harry Potter flick, much of society has plenty to learn about witchcraft.

Wiccans, and people thought to practice witchcraft, have suffered tremendously through the ages, most famously in Europe during the “burning times,” which led to more than 50,000 “witches” being hung or burnt alive between 1550 and 1650.

Though Wiccans no longer suffer such intense persecution, they must still face the constant vilification of their beliefs.

“My experience with members of Wicca are that they are people who care very deeply about nature,” said Thomas Wolfe, dean of Hendricks Chapel. “But they are burdened with stereotypical notions of what witches are.”

Contrary to the negative stereotypes, the religion is a benevolent, nature-based belief system with marked similarities to primary religions. Like both Christianity and Judaism, Wicca asserts the existence of one divine power, and advocates good works.

A major difference, however, is that the supreme power is manifested equally in a male God and female Goddess.

“A lot of people find empowerment through it,” said David H. Davis, owner of Seven Rays Book Store, 508 Westcott St., “which is what the church and the government doesn’t give them.”

The Wiccan religion is steeped in a history dating farther back than both Christianity and Islam. Wiccans say their beliefs are based in part on Shamanism, thought to be the world’s oldest religion. Shamans were a group who used fasting, self-infliction of pain and hallucinogenic substances to achieve a state known as “ecstasy,” in which they claimed to speak to nature.

Though Wiccans do not normally fast or use hallucinogenic drugs, they use meditation to achieve an alternate state of consciousness. Through this method, Wiccans believe they can communicate with plants, animals and the spiritual world around them. Temples and Churches are foreign ideas to Wiccans, as they treat the whole of nature as their sanctuary.

“It’s a nature religion,” Davis said. “They get together to do ritual work.” Wiccans also work with the phases of the moon, as well as with herbs and aromatherapy, he added.

Symbolism also plays an important role in Wicca, Davis said. While symbols from traditional religions like crosses and the Star of David are easy to recognize, Wicca’s symbol is a bit more complicated, and is often confused with Satanism. A pentagram has one point at the top, two points at the side and two at the bottom, whereas the Satanic mark is the Wiccan symbol flipped upside down. The top point represents the mind, while the other four points stand for the four elements: earth, air, fire and water, Davis said, adding that the mind’s domination over the four elements of nature is of major importance to Wiccans.

The basic tenet of Wicca is short and simple: “An it harm none, do what thou wilt,” according to Scott Cunningham’s book “Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner.” In modern English, this means that Wiccans may do as they please, so long as no one is hurt in the process. Above all, this rule is of utmost importance to Wicca. Its lack of doctrinal teachings and conventions are part of what separates it from some stricter religions.

Practitioners of Wicca have a bond with nature, in which they explore a more personal union with the supreme power, which they refer to as “Deity.” They also acknowledge and participate in the spiritual realm by using magic, which may include spells, incantations or prayers on eight holidays based on the cycles of the moon. In adherence with Wicca’s basic tenet, the way worshippers practice is entirely up to them.

Marie Summerwood has been practicing Wicca for 15 years and finds the religion extremely rewarding. “I wanted to have a religion that honored me because I am a woman,” she said. Wicca, with its female version of God, was a perfect fit for Summerwood.

The recent spring solstice gave Summerwood an opportunity to honor the Goddess, she said. On the day of the solstice, she and a circle of other women did breathing exercises and entered into a deep trance. She described a journey deep into a cave, where she and her coven members spoke with Persephone, Greek Goddess of the Spring. “She talked to each of us,” Summerwood said. “It was beautiful.”

Other methods of entering this state of trance include chanting and simply spinning in a circle. That way, Summerwood said, “you can get pretty high.”

“Trance is a journey you take in your mind,” she added. “You connect with it on a deeper level if destiny and intent are there.”

Bewitched teens

Teen-agers dissatisfied with the religion of their parents, or who are simply looking for a means to rebel against traditional religious systems, have increasingly latched onto Wicca for its comparatively loose structure and exciting history.

Lina Vallone, a sophomore architecture major, turned to Wicca when she was 14 years old, explaining how sheer boredom drove her to experiment. Vallone and her friends began a “coven,” a group of witches that practice casting spells and communicating with the spiritual world.

“We did a lot of research,” Vallone said. “We tried a lot of spells and potions.”

Despite Vallone’s interest and practice, the magic didn’t give her the results she wanted. “I tried stupid shit, like to make my parents leave me alone, or get all the money in the world,” she said.

To her dismay, Vallone’s friend succeeded where she didn’t. “All the hairs on my neck would stand up, and I always felt weird and tingly when I was around her,” she recalled. Whether or not the tingling was a result of spiritual forces, Vallone said seeing the spells work was the best part of her experience with Wicca.

Lately, teenage interest in Wicca has been on the rise after the release of the Harry Potter books and movie, Davis said.

The other side

Magic plays an important role in Wicca — it is the way Wiccans relate to the spiritual world around them, and it allows them to be more in touch with nature.

Though magic is an integral part of Wicca, it lessens the credibility of the practice among staunch supporters of the world’s major religions. Some Christians, for example, see alternative religions like Wicca as a dangerous way of dealing with the supernatural.

“They think they’re drawing on power,” said Jessica Benedict, a sophomore Spanish major and member of the Campus Crusade for Christ, “but really, these powers are controlling them. When you’re dealing with spirituality, you’re dealing with something way above you, way more powerful than you can even imagine.”

Wicca has been met with resistance on both social and political fronts, most likely because it hasn’t amassed an institutional presence, said Zachary Braiterman, a professor of religion at Syracuse University.

“Christianity started as a sect,” Braiterman said. “Eventually it became its own established religion. I don’t think it has anything to do with theological content.”

Institutionalization is not a likely option for Wicca though, considering the individual nature of the religion. Covens are usually limited to four or five members, and until recently, Wiccans were a group shrouded in secrecy and not looking to increase their membership.

Summerwood takes exception to the accusation that Wicca lacks substance, she said. “I don’t think my religion is empty, I think it’s very full.”

Politically, Wicca made the headlines in 2000 when the military decided to allow Wiccans to practice in the armed forces. Additionally, many Wiccans were incensed when then-Texas Governor George W. Bush said he didn’t consider Wicca to be a religion.

Regardless, Wolfe said Hendricks Chapel is willing to associate with a Wiccan group on campus, should any wish to do so. “I welcome them to take their place aside other religious groups supported by Hendricks Chapel,” he said.

For students that know little of Wicca and are reluctant to consider it, Wolfe suggests they educate themselves by opening a dialogue with Wiccans they know. Moving past stereotypes is an important first step toward understanding the religion, Wolfe said.

Many students keep an open mind when considering Wicca. Jessica Rolince, an undeclared sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences, supports the idea of Wiccans practicing alongside other religions, though she doesn’t fully support their beliefs.

“If it fulfills a person’s spiritual needs and doesn’t impinge on anyone else’s rights or safety,” she said, “then I see no problem with it.”

Summerwood has a deep respect for Wicca, and though she knows some people don’t take it seriously, she sings its praise. “It is an honoring of the unfolding of life, and a making sacred of it.”